How to Handle a Cracked or Chipped Tooth

Ask any dentist in West Edmonton and they’ll tell you that chipping or cracking a tooth is one of their patients' most stressful experiences. Patients often worry about the extent of the damage and whether or not they’ll need a dental crown. But if you’re suffering from a chipped or cracked tooth, it’s important not to panic. Find out what you should do below.

Home Care 

Whenever you experience any type of damage or trauma to your teeth, book an appointment with your dentist in West Edmonton as soon as possible.

Avoid eating or drinking anything too hot or too cold to limit nerve sensitivity. Stick with soft foods until you can see your dentist. If you’re in pain, take over the counter pain medication and apply ice to the outside of your mouth to help reduce the swelling.

Treating a Cracked or Chipped Tooth
Your treatment will depend on the severity and the type of damage that your tooth has endured. Below are some of the most common types of cracks and chips that can affect your teeth.
  • Minor cracks—Depending on the size and position of the crack, you may not need any treatment at all or your dentist may be able to simply polish the tooth to reduce the appearance of the crack. 
  • Fractured tooth—A larger crack, called a fracture, reaches all the way to the nerve of the affected tooth. These types of cracks can get worse if left untreated and will likely need to be repaired with either a dental filling or, in severe cases, a dental crown. 
  • Chipped teeth—A chip occurs on the surface of the tooth and is usually not a serious dental health concern unless a significant part of the tooth has fallen away. 
  • Damaged cusps—The cusps are the surfaces of your teeth used for chewing and grinding. When there’s significant damage to the cusp, you may need a filling or a dental crown to repair the shape and integrity of the tooth. 
  • Split tooth—If a chip or crack is serious enough to have caused the tooth to split into two pieces, you’ll need to seek emergency dental care. This type of damage to a tooth can be very painful, especially if the breakage goes all the way to the root. You’ll likely need a root canal and a dental crown to repair the damage. 

If you’ve experienced dental trauma, it’s important to see a dentist as soon as possible. Delaying treatment can lead to complications that could aggravate the problem. For emergency dental services in the West Edmonton area, visit Callingwood Dental Health Centre and Suites. Contact us today to learn more about the services we provide or to schedule an appointment.
0 0